Bell's Mind

Despite what you may think, phreaking is not dead

The last year and a half, what happened?

with 10 comments

Bell’s Mind has been offline for quite some time. ┬áThere are many reasons for this ranging from NANPA redacting their CLLI code information, to a lack of time and money on my part. Recently I got a pseudo-landline (FiOS) again and my interest in telephony has been renewed. I have a few projects lined up to keep things interesting and I think that we’ll see Bell’s Mind back in action in the next few months. My personal time has started to free up again and rather than let this site die I want to get it back on its feet and start sharing information again.

The new site will have a redesigned interface and will eventually tie into a PBX. If you’re interested in contributing or just want the site to come back up post in the comments. If you have any new ideas post those too and we’ll see what we can do. The scene needs more telephony and phreaking.

Written by ntheory

May 25th, 2012 at 6:50 am

Posted in Uncategorized

10 Responses to 'The last year and a half, what happened?'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'The last year and a half, what happened?'.

1. I’d be interested in the site coming back, including a version of the lookup tool, if only for storing interesting findings from scans.

Izzy

25 May 12 at 10:14 am

2. I definitely want to add the scan portion back and there will be an improved version of the lookup tool for sure. Those are the two most important aspects of the site and a few times a week I find myself fumbling to look up exchanges without them.

If you have any specific recommendations for either the scan submissions or lookup tool post another message here and let me know. I’d love to get any feedback possible.

ntheory

25 May 12 at 11:14 am

3. What comes to mind is to make it something like a version/status tracker, where for each number you can have the history of what that number was. Have some predefined “types” of numbers, for the common things you run across, and have it so that when you change what type a specific number is, it divides any comments on that number at that point.

Speaking of comments, being able to have something of a conversation on a number without changing the “type”/”status” of a number might be nice. As would being able to link directly to a particular number.

Not sure if I’m getting my idea across, but I’ll be around.

Izzy

25 May 12 at 12:27 pm

4. Comments are something I also wish we always had. It was just annoying to implement but I’ll put it on the list of things to do and hopefully now it’ll be a little easier.

Splitting the comments would be difficult but I see what you’re saying. Essentially everyone would need to have the ability to modify a number and that could get tricky. We would need some way to approve a change to the number type and description to try to avoid abuse/errors. That’s something I’ll need to think about.

ntheory

25 May 12 at 12:45 pm

5. That’s the tricky part, yeah. Depending on how you do it, you might just be able to make the status/type change a comment on it’s own, and keep the history before and after the change… Then when you go to get the current status of the number, just look for the latest comment by the “status” user for that number…

Hm. Could still be abused fairly easily, though.

Izzy

25 May 12 at 2:20 pm

6. I’ll figure something out. Even if there’s no way to edit at first it’ll still be nice to have comments. Maybe voting would work?

ntheory

25 May 12 at 3:19 pm

7. The problem with voting becomes either “how many votes does it take to confirm this change, versus how many commentors” or “how long is the vote open, and does it default to denying or allowing the change”… Either way, it’s going to slow down the process of keeping it up to date. Might be acceptable, if you can manage to set it up properly, though.

Izzy

25 May 12 at 10:28 pm

8. Yeah, I’ll keep thinking about it. For the meantime I’ll do it so that anyone can submit their own version of the number and users can comment on each version separately. People would naturally post on the number that was actually up to date rather than the old one so it might work itself out on its own. Then I can go back and nuke comments that are for bad updates.

ntheory

26 May 12 at 9:22 am

9. Glad to see Bell’s Mind making a return. Lookups have been a bear without you, man.

AlphaFlood

13 Jun 12 at 11:25 am

10. I miss this site at least once a week. I hope you come back.

maxCohen